History of Bloomingdale
Provided by the Tampa Bay History Center
In the late 1840’s, early settlers began arriving in Bloomingdale, located in the vicinity of Lithia Pinecrest Road, Bell Shoals Road and Bloomingdale Avenue, north of the Alafia River. By 1885, the residents supported a Presbyterian, a Catholic, a Methodist and a Baptist church. Dr. Raymond was principal of Bloomingdale’s grade school, which was established September 23, 1884. The school was begun through the efforts of Ludwig Wilhelm Buchholz, a recent German immigrant, who began petitioning settlers for a school in 1883. Despite the rural and somewhat isolated setting, residents were drawn to the area during World War II. By the 1960’s, Bloomingdale had become a “bedroom community”. By 1990, its population reached 13,912.
Today the Bloomingdale area exists within the borders of Valrico and Brandon, and is currently the largest neighborhood within the Tampa Bay area, comprised of over 40 individual neighborhoods and approximately 5000 homes.
Did you know that Bloomingdale has:
- Over 40 individual communities
- Over 5,200 homes and (2) Apartment complexes within Bloomingdale
- A Population of over 22,000 within Bloomingdale
- 2 Elementary schools within our boundaries
- Bloomingdale Senior High located on our boundaries
- Neighborhood stores include (2) Publix Grocery Stores located on our boundaries, Winn-Dixie and Wal-Mart
- Popular shopping including Stein Mart, Bell’s, Ace Hardware, Pet Supermarket
- Restaurants including Chili’s, Panera Bread, Starbucks, Old Town Pizzeria, Stonewood Grill and Tavern, and many independent and popular fast-food restaurants.
- 18 Holes of top-class Golf at Bloomingdale Golfer’s Club located within the community rated as a Tampa Bay Top course.
- Bloomingdale Public Library located along the border of the community adjacent to Bloomingdale High School.
- Campo Community YMCA Located within the community with Swimming pool with swim lanes, rock climbing wall, and Kiddie pool area.
- Community Sports Complex for little league and adult league ball playing located within the community.