By Tamas Mondovics
With the election behind them, it was now time for local, returning and newly elected government officials to get to work last month and to begin making good on the promises they have so eagerly promoted during the months leading up to election day.
For the Hillsborough County Board of County Commission, the first item on the agenda was the Investiture Ceremony, where three returning members and one newly-elected commissioner took oaths of office.
Re-elected commissioners Victor D. Crist, District 2, and Ken Hagan, Countywide District 5, returned to the familiar County Commission platform in County Center.
Al Higginbotham, who previously held the District 4 seat, now represents Countywide District 7. New to the Board is former District 4 School Board member Dr. Stacy R. White, who won the election to fill the vacant seat as District 4 Commissioner. Commissioner Lesley “Les” Miller Jr. retained his position as chaplain.
The Commissioners held their annual organizational meeting following the ceremony and unanimously selected Sandra L. Murman to serve as chairwoman. Higginbotham was selected as vice chairman.
Murman has served District 1 since 2010, and was the Board’s vice chairwoman this past year.
“We’ve got an important year ahead of us,” Murman said. “It’s going to be a great year and I’m looking forward to it.”
Commissioners also chose positions on the various boards, committees and councils on which they hold seats. Some of the appointments include:
– Affordable Housing Advisory Board – Higginbotham
– Arts Council of Hillsborough County – Crist
– Aviation Authority – Crist
– Children’s Board of Hillsborough County – Kevin Beckner
– Council of Governments – Crist, Murman
– Environmental Protection Commission – Miller, chair; Crist, vice chair
– Expressway Authority – Miller
– Fair Authority – Miller
– Hillsborough Area Regional Transit Authority – White, Murman, Beckner, Miller
– Hospital Authority – Miller, Murman
– Juvenile Justice Board – Beckner
– Port Authority – Murman
For a full listing, visit www.HillsboroughCounty.org/OA.