This is a Hillsborough County Emergency Operations Center Public Information Update for August 24, 2012.
Tropical Storm Isaac update as of 9:13 a.m. Tropical Storm Isaac is currently located 165 miles southeast of the Dominican Republic, with winds of 50 miles per hour.
Current road and lane closures are listed online at www.HillsboroughCounty.org/publicworks. These are not necessarily related to storm activity.
Park Areas Closed Due To Flooding
Due to the heavy rains the past few days, the following park areas are closed due to high water:
- Dead River Park – Entire Park is closed.
- Wilderness Park – Off-roads trails at the Flatwoods Site, the Morris Bridge Site and the Morris Bridge Biking Area; the picnic shelter side of the Morris Bridge Site.
- Lake Park – Back area including the archery, the remote control track, the BMX tracks, and the horse arena.
- Lithia Springs Park – Swimming area.
- Medard Park – Boat ramp area.
County Center, the Public Utilities Department administration building, John F. Germany Public Library and Robert W. Saunders, Sr. Public Library are closed through Aug. 31. These are planned closures unrelated to storm activity.
Sandbags remain available to residents of unincorporated Hillsborough County, while supplies last, from 8 a.m.-8 p.m. at the following locations:
- West Service Unit – 9805 Sheldon Drive in Tampa (near Sheldon Drive and Linebaugh Ave.)
- South Service Unit – 8718 Old Big Bend Road in Gibsonton
- East Service Unit – 4702 Sydney Road near Plant City
Filled sandbags will be available to the elderly/disabled. Sandbag materials will be available to those physically able to make their own. Additionally, each citizen will sign their name and provide their home address acknowledging the receipt of 25 sandbags or less.
County Emergency Preparedness Links For Additional Information
- Link to online Hurricane Guide (includes shelter lists and other information)
- Tips for creating a disaster plan
- Disaster supply kit suggested list (includes link to Red Cross page with more detail on creating a supply kit and making a plan)
- Tips on preparing your pets, pet shelters info
- Tips for preparing your business and creating a business go-kit
- Tips for disabled and elderly residents (includes link to the Special Assistance request form and phone numbers)
- Link to Hillsborough County evacuation routes map
Other Local Governments’ Websites
- See the City of Tampa’s emergency information
- See the City of Tampa news releases
- See City of Tampa RNC Information webpage.
To receive the latest emergency and news announcements via email or text from Hillsborough County, sign up on the County’s website.
Citizens can call 813-272-5900 to report problems or request additional information.