Dozens of deputies, including HCPS School Security officers, along with area school resource deputies and local law enforcement were on hand at Newsome High School this morning following an online threat against the school.
“There was some indication in a chat room that someone will bring a weapon to campus at Newsome High School,” said schools spokesman Steve Hegarty. “We take these things very seriously so we got law enforcement involved and the school was on lock down during first period and the students remained in their classrooms until the lock down was lifted.”
According to an HCSO spokesperson the alleged weapon was a gun, and that students entering the campus were all searched.
Parents were notified via phone messages, indicating that the threat was not specific and that school officials did not know its level of credibility.
While deputies searched the campus, HCPS Security Services Manager David W. Friedberg, told a number of parents waiting outside the school entrance that the online threat became known around 2 a.m., Wednesday.
Some parents expressed their dismay over officials letting students on campus, while aware of the threat prior to the school start time. “Why didn’t they let us know before they went to lock down?” said Jeff Bouge of FishHawk, while waiting for some update outside the school gate. “If you have to do a lockdown, that’s credible enough to me.”
At 9:24 a.m., Newsome High School Principal Carla Bruning announced that the school had been searched and officials were confident that the campus was safe.
The lock down was then lifted and normal school schedules resumed. Everything went smooth and the school is safe,” Bruning said.
For more information please visit www.sdhc.k12.fl.us.